Painted Finger Armor, Polished First Bicep Armor

•March 31, 2014 • 4 Comments

After a ton of sanding, test priming, and re-sanding, I finally painted the finger armor today!

rhwtmyb.jpgmxk3hwe.jpg19hwkrs.jpg

Also wet sanded and polished the bicep. Haven’t done this to the fingers yet.

qbp4rur.jpg

Likewise, I wet sanded and polished the other half of the helmet. I think I’m going to do another pass at it though because it’s still a bit bumpier than the first side.

First Bicep Copper Paint, Finger Armor Test Primer

•March 24, 2014 • 2 Comments

The first bicep now has its final copper paint! It hasn’t been wet sanded and polished yet.

img_3188.jpg

Also the finger armor got a coat of test primer since it was hard to see what the clear glue had done to the worbla. They’re a little lumpy. Time to sand them smooth!
img_3193.jpgimg_3194.jpg

Worbla Shoulder Complete

•March 23, 2014 • 2 Comments

I finished cutting the worbla off of the 3d printed shoulder and glued it together!

img_3176.jpgimg_3183.jpg img_3181.jpg

Turns out superglue works great, as I had hoped. The new shoulder is decently strong (and sooo much lighter!) but will definitely need reinforcement as you can warp it a bit by torquing the bottom points. Tomorrow I’ll test resin on some worbla and if that works I’ll fiberglass the inside of the shoulder.

I’ve also coated most of the glove armor with wood glue. So far I like this much more than gesso, which takes forever to dry and doesn’t even itself out nicely like wood glue does. Tomorrow I should also be spraying a test coat of primer on those pieces to see just how much I need to fix with bondo.

Worbla Glove Done!

•March 16, 2014 • 5 Comments

Finished the glove! At least the shape of it. Tomorrow I start smoothing it out.

7l7nqn1.jpg

Worbla Glove Almost Done, Cannon Test Primer, Bicep Paint

•March 16, 2014 • 5 Comments

I’ve now mostly finished the glove! It’s still missing the plate on the back of the hand. To take pictures I just balanced the pieces on my hand as best I could, so they look a little misaligned. Once the pieces are glued on they’ll look better. The blue stripe on the palm is tape. I have a good range of mobility; I can even do Samus’ classic thumbs up!

2g1myfp.jpg2uqobtq.jpg4verjhi.jpg

I also threw a test coat of primer on the large section of the arm cannon to check for imperfections (some I knew were there but couldn’t see very well).

1xl5o8q.jpg

The first bicep now has the final coats of primer and a couple coats of silver in preparation for the copper! I noticed some imperfections in the paint so I held off on the copper until I could wet sand those out.

g6rtka5.jpg
This is a picture of the primer stage, not silver. It was the best picture to show how smooth it is.

Vinyl Film Test

•March 14, 2014 • Leave a Comment

I had been struggling with how to tint the plastic dome shapes that go in the lit parts of the leg armor but tonight I found a solution!

A while back I bought a green vinyl film which I intended to use to color the straight lit sections on the legs and other areas. I wasn’t sure how to do the domes since I didn’t think the film would work on such compound curves. I tried all sorts of other stuff like using Pledge Future Shine and food coloring, and just straight up painting. Neither were anywhere close to ideal. Tonight I decided to see if I could make the film work on the domes. It’s really, really difficult, but it does indeed work!! Yay!

lviqayu.jpg49ezcdu.jpg

In the picture I’m lighting the shin with an LED flashlight which has a yellow covering on it. After seeing how nice the yellow looks, I think I’ll switch to yellow LEDs instead of using actual green LEDs like I originally planned. Makes it look much more lime green as it should.

I’m nowhere near ready to actually wire things up, I just felt like testing this.

Oh, also, the plastic domes are those plastic Christmas craft ornaments which have been cut down:
free-dhl-shipping-500pcs-lot-dia-5cm-font-b-christmas-b-font-decoration-font-b-clear.jpg

I’ve been working on a bunch of other stuff too, like the glove, but my camera’s battery died so that’s all you’re getting today! 😛

This 3d Printer is Ginormous.

•March 5, 2014 • Leave a Comment

I have a new guest in my living room:

uzfn5ho.jpg

It’s one of the 3d printers I used to print my suit, and it is absolutely massive. My friend needed a new place to store it so here it is!

I’m so excited to finally use it myself. Previously he had just done all the 3d printing. I don’t have much left to print for the suit but maybe I’ll print some unrelated things too. We never printed a second elbow cap and I’d like to print a shape for the visor to mold to. The test bends I was doing with the acrylic weren’t matching the shape. It’s hard to guess the exact angle of the crease and there’s a slight curve to the rest of it that I can’t achieve on my own. If I 3d print a mold, I know it will be exactly the right shape and the visor will fit perfectly!