Here’s the helmet after it was bondo’d and sanded again – it’s very smooth:
Today I sprayed a new coat of primer on it:
I’ve left the texture in the grooves because it was difficult to get sandpaper in there (the dremel melts the plastic onto the bit and is risky because it could hit the edges). I kinda like it though. It’s not really noticeable in person and it provides nice contrast.
I also tested a red paint color today, on silver and not on silver (definitely doing a silver undercoat). However, spray cans aren’t really cutting it for me. They leave quite a noticeable stippled texture and the “metallic” red I got wasn’t really that metallic either. I could spend the time to wet sand it, but meh. I might as well take the easier route than deal with all that headache. Another of my friends conveniently has a compressor and airbrush so I’m going to probably use that instead. This will provide me with both a smoother, nicer finish as well as the ability to create custom colors which is going to be very helpful. I can make my own metallic light yellow!