After a fairly long break from all of this, I took another look at the previous pepakura helmets I had done and decided that I needed to fix up the 3d model a bit and make a new, final version. These were my alterations:
- Originally I had filled in the voids where the “fins” go on the back side, but I realized this was a mistake and would only cause me headache later. I flattened the surface there so I could instead glue the fins on after the fact.
- Increased the poly count of the model so the whole thing is much smoother and round now.
- Increased the size by 5mm because the last one was a tad too small and I feared the visor would hit my nose and that it’d be too hard to get on and off.
- Included the visor this time to make sure the shape did not become deformed. I will cut it out after casting the final piece and put in a plexiglass sheet.
Cumulatively, it took me about a full day’s time to complete. I have all the necessary materials and resources I need to move on to the next step, which is coating it in resin and fiberglass cloth.
Edit: More views of the helmet!