Real Life Helmet Sizing Mock Up
Today I finished making a pepakura version of the helmet to figure out the proper size for my head. My first estimate was very close, but a little bit too large. I’ll do another one scaled smaller tomorrow.
To make it I took the 3d model of the helmet from the suit mock up and, using pepakura software, created my own custom pattern which I then printed on 110 lb card stock and folded/glued together (Elmer’s Extra Strength glue sticks are amazing by the way). I don’t have a camera right now to take pics but I will in a couple weeks so I’ll update this post then.
Edit 1: I made a smaller version. It’s just a tiny bit too small so I’m almost there. I can fit it over my head though. The tip of my nose just sticks out where the visor would be and it’d be better to have a little more wiggle room (getting it on and off is a bit of a squeeze).
Edit 2: The third pepakura helmet was a success! It fits perfectly. Since then I’ve also made two sizes of the left forearm armor. First one was a little too small, and the second one is just right. Should be much easier now to guess the sizes of the rest of the armor since I can compare to these two parts.
Edit 3: Finished making the shoulder! The size seems to be good so I won’t have to make another one. Next up: the chest/back piece.
Edit 4: Pics!